Dr. Oz with Dr. T on Oprah.com; Blog Xfer from Fall 2009

Subscribe to this feed
Bookmark and Share
2 replies [Last post]
Mardy Ross's picture
Mardy Ross
Title: LumiGRATE Poster - Top of the Totem Pole
User offline. Last seen 17 weeks 4 days ago.

"Ladies and gentleman of the jury..." -- with thanks to the Grate group of radar-searchers who have their heads in the game and are facilitating our continuing to provide valid, progressive and interesting information.  Lumigrate then helps let people find out about these important developments by posting links here and by simply involving our volunteers (aka facebook friends). 

Below is a link to Dr. Oz integrating more information about fibromyalgia and the related treatments and symptoms. 

www.oprah.com/article/omagazine/200909-omag-dr-oz-fibromyalgia

Lumigrate.com has Forum areas on many topics, and the link for the Fibromyalgia Forum is:

www.lumigrate.com/forums/collaborative-care-discussions/fibromyalgia

~~ As always please venture over to the facebook page if you want to see what has been self-titled the 'Grate Group' at Lumigrate www.facebook.com/lumigrate  -- we'd love to have your positivity and sincere interest to learn!  

Mardy Ross, OTR - Executive Director; Lumigrate

Live and Learn. Learn and Live Better! is my motto. I'm Mardy Ross, and I founded Lumigrate in 2008 after a career as an occupational therapist with a background in health education and environmental research program administration. Today I function as the desk clerk for short questions people have, as well as 'concierge' services offered for those who want a thorough exploration of their health history and direction to resources likely to progress their health according to their goals. Contact Us comes to me, so please do if you have questions or comments. Lumigrate is "Lighting the Path to Health and Well-Being" for increasing numbers of people. Follow us on social networking sites such as: Twitter: http://twitter.com/lumigrate and Facebook. (There is my personal page and several Lumigrate pages. For those interested in "groovy" local education and networking for those uniquely talented LumiGRATE experts located in my own back yard, "LumiGRATE Groove of the Grand Valley" is a Facebook page to join. (Many who have joined are beyond our area but like to see the Groovy information! We not only have FUN, we are learning about other providers we can be referring patients to and 'wearing a groove' to each other's doors -- or websites/home offices!) By covering some of the things we do, including case examples, it reinforces the concepts at Lumigrate.com as well as making YOU feel that you're part of a community. Which you ARE at Lumigrate!

Don Winder PA's picture
Don Winder PA
Title: LumiGRATE Poster - Itinerant
User offline. Last seen 12 years 14 weeks ago.
Dr Oz is making big impacts on alternative treatments

Good info.  What I like about Dr. Oz is he is not afraid to include alternatives to Western medicine.  He's having a big inpact on opening the public and practitioners to this.  And it looks like Dr. T. got his seal of approval.  I will need to dig into his protocol. 

I have many friends who have used a nutritional supplementation plan through Visalus with great success in treating chronic fatigue and fibro.  Would like to see how it compares to Dr. T's plan.  Thanks again!

Mardy's Note: Don, I invite you to post something about Visalus, as I know you are a distributor, at the forum about MLM/Direct Marketing, within the section intended to teach people how things are manufactured and distributed in the United States (and beyond). You'll see there where I discuss why it is I've put out the welcome mat SELECTIVELY related to this type of product marketing.  I also really want there to be a 'virtual' cross-polination support system between those QUALITY product and QUALITY providers which are included at Lumigrate. Thank you in advance! Looking forward to what you add there! ~~ Mardy www.lumigrate.com/forums/products/multi-level-marketing

I am a recent physician assistant graduate who has stepped into the daunting field of interventional pain management.  I am eager to contribute what I learn along the way and, more importantly, learn from the experts who deal with pain every day, with the goal of providing compassionate and evidence-based care.

Mardy Ross's picture
Mardy Ross
Title: LumiGRATE Poster - Top of the Totem Pole
User offline. Last seen 17 weeks 4 days ago.
Yes, Dr Teitelbaum is one of Dr Oz's Expert Advisors

Yes, there's quite a history with Dr Oz and Dr Teitelbaum.  I'm feeling like the old timer here with Lumigrate on this and we've not even been on the Internet for three years!  The first fall that Lumigrate was going, 2009, I'd just gotten Dr Teitelbaum included in a chronic pain documentary series kickoff / fundraising conference which I'd been invited to speak at in Berkeley, California.  That was wild too, being invited to something like that after Lumigrate had only been up for two months! That was due to Facebook connecting people and causes and my putting in a lot of time looking into and following up with leads at that time.  

So here I was, having spent from early afternoon to late evening in the same room with Dr Teitelbaum, and had two conversations with him.  He'd given me his business card and I gave him one of mine and I hoped that he was as impressed with me as I was with him, naturally.  So I got signed up with his website and did the symptom software that he has and was just BLOWN AWAY with it.  I'd been feeling like it was VERY suspicious that Oprah hadn't had anything on her show about FM in all those years doing shows about women. I mean, 5% of women know they have it, 20% of women have it or are on the 'continuum', if you talk to providers like Dr T and S (Spurlock, who provides content at Lumigrate since he's not YET as big a star as Teitelbaum).  In other words, my radar was UP about Oz/Phil/Oprah -- all those 'owned' by Oprah, and thinking they HAD to be planning a BIG deal about fibromyalgia if they weren't doing something about it on any of their shows.  

So one day in October, early, I think.. maybe the late part of September, Dr T's website sends out to EVERYONE who is signed up with it, saying he's taped for two days with Dr Oz and there'll be a big show about FM and CFS.  So I copied and pasted his information into a topic at Lumigrate, or a blog I think it might have been, and let everyone on Facebook and Twitter following us/me know about it, and naturally, encouraged them to go to his website and etc.  Then it was rather soon after that the show aired, and it turns out I had H1N1 that week, I believe, so I 'couldn't be sick'.  

Luckily I'd just gotten The Denver Post to do an article about alternatives for colds and flu since the paper was following down the conventional path of get a shot and be terrified of the flu, so I had stocked up on what the providers had recommended, which I had put at Lumigrate as there was more that wasn't in the article due to the way they make their pieces rather noncomplicated.  So I was sailing through the week, I actually didn't realize until after the week/illness that it wasn't a cold and was H1N1, as one of the gal pals that had been to my house the previous Friday evening had NOT been out of town as she had said for a work trip, she was home with a 104 degree temperature all week -- I'd not texted her as usual because I thought she was in California at a conference about office supplies.  

Anyway, I was SO excited to see this Dr Oz show... I had my DVR ready to go and I was WATCHING IT... I'd even tried to get all my old Fibro Forum people together to watch it together but we couldn't get a location to agree to do it on such short notice.  And I was SO glad we didn't as it was SO disappointing.  Only 15 minutes, the F word was never mentioned (fibromyalgia), 'fatigue' was only used once, they used 'exhaustion' the whole way through.  And people in the Facebook fibromyalgia world were (cover your eyes and ears) P_ _ _ ED!  I was 'disappointed' and something seemed very odd about it, but I wasn't 'angry'.  Dr T immediately sent out another email blast saying 'sorry, much of what we recorded ended up on the cutting room floor', which I believe means it's going to be used at another time when it serves their overall plans better.  They potentially are getting themselves lined out to be on the receiving end of what the solutions offered will be.  NOT that there's anything wrong with that, we are a capitalistic society. But in the mean time, people need the information and they're not getting massively made aware the way these big shows can.  So I just decided to work harder than ever on Lumigrate and do what I could! 

Pretty soon, someone sent me a message and had cut and pasted what was circulating about me -- basically it took a while for people to backtrack and say 'who lied to us about what was going to be on the show' and they shot the messenger .. ME! They took what I'd put on Lumigrate that was verbatim what Dr T had put out in email (crediting him and encouraging following his website) and modified what I had posted, sent it out NOT saying who or what the source was (me, Lumigrate) and implying that I was some sort of evil person trying to make a buck off of people who had fibromyalgia.  I'd just spent a ton of money starting Lumigrate which included seven hours or more of videos! That's very expensive to do, and I was charging $20 to download them.  Each one cost about $5,000 to make; if 250 people paid $20 I'd break even, if 500 people paid $20 I could afford to make MORE for people.  But they turned me into some kind of devil.  .  Which initially made me mad and it also broke my heart  because I'd never had anybody ever accuse me of being anything but fair and helpful, when dealing in the 'real world with live patients'.  There were some who even said I'd been made up by Big Pharma like the actresses in Lyrica commercials who don't have FM, "nobody could look that good and so what she does and have FM", they said.  WHAT? REALLY?  Then, about that same time I found out that my family of origin was having problems getting on board with my spending monies that came to me through inheritance which I chose to start Lumigrate to help people learn what had made me get my health turned around.  

It was a really hard time.  I think that might be about the time you and I, Don, met through Facebook and I was asking you to write on Lumigrate.  I'm glad now that you waited until you were done with your PA program and passed your boards and got a job .. in pain as a specialty, no less, to hop in and start contributing.  And now that I've lived through the hard stretch two years ago, I'm glad it happened, I learned a lot and it has certainly changed my life.  My health is the worse for the wear but I didn't totally backslide the way I had in the past, so my 'strategies' are standing up to stress! 

I believe Dr Teitelbaum is still on Oz's website as one of his experts.  Aside from Dr Ts book about sugar addiction and the new cookbook, which I've not yet gotten my hands on since Vitamin Cottage cannot get it and I'm wanting to put pressure on them to carry it, so I keep bugging them.  LOL Maybe I am a .  Hope that I'm just  in a  way.  

So that's that history, for those who weren't around for it two years ago.  ~~ Mardy

Live and Learn. Learn and Live Better! is my motto. I'm Mardy Ross, and I founded Lumigrate in 2008 after a career as an occupational therapist with a background in health education and environmental research program administration. Today I function as the desk clerk for short questions people have, as well as 'concierge' services offered for those who want a thorough exploration of their health history and direction to resources likely to progress their health according to their goals. Contact Us comes to me, so please do if you have questions or comments. Lumigrate is "Lighting the Path to Health and Well-Being" for increasing numbers of people. Follow us on social networking sites such as: Twitter: http://twitter.com/lumigrate and Facebook. (There is my personal page and several Lumigrate pages. For those interested in "groovy" local education and networking for those uniquely talented LumiGRATE experts located in my own back yard, "LumiGRATE Groove of the Grand Valley" is a Facebook page to join. (Many who have joined are beyond our area but like to see the Groovy information! We not only have FUN, we are learning about other providers we can be referring patients to and 'wearing a groove' to each other's doors -- or websites/home offices!) By covering some of the things we do, including case examples, it reinforces the concepts at Lumigrate.com as well as making YOU feel that you're part of a community. Which you ARE at Lumigrate!

This forum is provided to allow members of Lumigrate to share information and ideas. Any recommendations made by forum members regarding medical treatments, medications, or procedures are not endorsed by Lumigrate or practitioners who serve as Lumigrate's medical experts.

Lumigrate Newsletter

Stay informed of the latest Lumigrate news!

Subscribe to this feed