A Robust Universe Includes the Botched and the Bungled Looks to 2011 and a New Year

Subscribe to this feed
Bookmark and Share
8 replies [Last post]
Beth Patterson's picture
Beth Patterson
Title: LumiGRATE Poster - Frequently
User offline. Last seen 12 years 27 weeks ago.

I've been thinking about the difference between the words 'hardy' and 'robust'.  Robust is a buzzword in business these days signifying something that is healthy, takes on change easily and can engage evolutionary processes.  Here's a sample of how the word is used  as software programming jargon

The word robust, when used with regard to computer software, refers to an operating system or other program that performs well not only under ordinary conditions but also under unusual conditions that stress its designers' assumptions.

Software is typically buggy (i.e., contains errors) and fragile, and thus not robust. This is in large part because programs are usually too big and too complicated for a single human mind to comprehend in their entirety, and thus it is difficult for their developers to be able to discover and eliminate all the errors, or to even be certain as to what extent of errors exist. This is especially true with regard to subtle errors that only make their presence known in unusual circumstances.

I've always considered myself 'hardy': I am not fragile in body or mind.  My emotional state is generally pretty even-keeled.  I can take on hard tasks and complete them with a minimum of fuss or grumble; the learning I get from them almost always outweighs distress to my systems.

But 'robustness'--that seems to be a different level of hardiness.  While contemplating the meaning of human robustness on a recent cross country plane trip, I read a remarkable quote at the beginning of  Barry Lopez's "Of Wolves and Men" 

Of Wolves and Men

The only real revolutionary stance is that 'nature' is the greatest convention of all.  Perhaps there are no natures, no essences --only categories and paradigms that human beings mentally and politically impose on the flux of experience in order to produce illusions of certainty, definiteness, distinction and hierarchy. Apparently humans do not want a Heraclitan world,  they want fixed points of reference in order to not fall into vertigo, nausea.  Perhaps the idea of nature or essence is man's ultimate grasp for eternity.  The full grasp of evolution (the mutability of species) is thus still to come.   --John Rodman, The Dolphin Papers

I had an experience of this a few years back while dialoguing with a shaman across a fire pit.  In that experience,  I was listening intently when something hit me, as if upside my head. All of a sudden, I heard what  was really being said, at least to me. It’s our attachment to how the world is supposed to be that keeps us from being engaged in what really is. Our preoccupation and conflict with the external ‘machine’ of the world (read: war, famine, rape of the land and its people, destruction of indigenous cultures/religions/habitat, politics, etc, ad nauseum) keeps us from experiencing the wonder of what, like the Phoenix, is being born out of ashes and destruction. In this case the shaman was not saying that we shouldn’t do anything about what’s around us to do, but that our awareness can be broader, deeper, in touch with rhythms that we can’t experience at casual glance. Our real work is not in the external world (although whatever we choose to do there can be the pathway to the openings)  but to see ourselves as part of a panoramic theatre that any one life, century, millennium or even epoch can not change or even impact.

I really, really got 'it', for a moment in time, and my life was changed.  I've forgotten it 1000 times since that day in 2002, but I've not forgotten the feeling of home that this spacious knowing of the universe gave me.  It was truly a feeling of robustness, a feeling of mutability that was ancient and futuristic.  I knew in that moment that errors of any type are what makes systems adaptable, strong, resilient and evolving.  I knew in that moment that I, and all of the universe, are much more than the sum of our parts, and that if God could be labeled as anything, God would be the process of becoming, of learning, of evolving.   It's like the software programming definition of robust above:  the system (universe) is bigger than the singular human mind can encompass and the 'bugs' that occur are to be expected and welcomed as doorways to more strength and complexity.

It is only in  seeing "ourselves as part of a panoramic theatre that any one life, century, millennium or even epoch can’t change or even impact"  can  I, we, become robust, free of guilt at the state of the world and free to design a new path.

I now ask consciously to remember the robustness no expectations of an error-free world.  I now ask to experience the world I have made and live in as perfect and without exception, just so. 

And this is the bigger prayer that I pray as I sit with companions.  They are asking the questions around 'there has to be a better way' and my soul answers:  'Let's go after a robust understanding of who you are in this world, my dear soul-friend.  Let's find your rightful place in the universe.  Let's unhinge our grasping hands, one stiff and fearful finger at a time.  Let's be un-conventional*.' 

*This approach is, of course, not for everyone.  Some come seeking to make their world feel better in the moment.  While that relief may be a stop-gap, it is not the Healing that we're seeking. 

Happiest of new years to each of us, the bungled and botched (as Jack calls humanity in "The Fisher King") evolutionary test cases of the Universe.

Out beyond ideas of wrong-doing and right-doing, there is a field. I’ll meet you there. When the soul lies down in that grass, the world is too full to talk about.Jalāl-ad-Dīn Muhammad Rūmī

I am a grandmother.  I'm owned by a wolf/husky named Geronimo and we live in Central Oregon.  I thrived in Western Colorado for 13 years--living in Hotchkiss and working for Hospice and Palliative Care of Western Colorado in the administrative offices in Grand Junction and helping to open the hospices in Montrose and Delta.

I have a MA in Religion, and 20 something years of hospice experience, 5 years in child advocacy and am now working with eldering.

I own a business called Finding Ground and also host a multi-blogger site Virtual Teahouse.  Finding Ground provides spiritual companioning for those who are journeying through major life transitions.  All I do is 'sit' and hold space.  And show up.  I do face to face sessions as well as long-distance via phone or skype sits.

Other than those facts, everything else is suspiciously, serendipitously, unscrupulously subjective.

Mardy Ross's picture
Mardy Ross
Title: LumiGRATE Poster - Top of the Totem Pole
User offline. Last seen 16 weeks 2 days ago.
"Tenacious" and "Adaptable" I am told I am...

... and I found this VERY interesting to read, Beth.  Thank you!  I hope it will inspire many here at Lumigrate today and into 2011 and beyond!  ~~ Mardy

Live and Learn. Learn and Live Better! is my motto. I'm Mardy Ross, and I founded Lumigrate in 2008 after a career as an occupational therapist with a background in health education and environmental research program administration. Today I function as the desk clerk for short questions people have, as well as 'concierge' services offered for those who want a thorough exploration of their health history and direction to resources likely to progress their health according to their goals. Contact Us comes to me, so please do if you have questions or comments. Lumigrate is "Lighting the Path to Health and Well-Being" for increasing numbers of people. Follow us on social networking sites such as: Twitter: http://twitter.com/lumigrate and Facebook. (There is my personal page and several Lumigrate pages. For those interested in "groovy" local education and networking for those uniquely talented LumiGRATE experts located in my own back yard, "LumiGRATE Groove of the Grand Valley" is a Facebook page to join. (Many who have joined are beyond our area but like to see the Groovy information! We not only have FUN, we are learning about other providers we can be referring patients to and 'wearing a groove' to each other's doors -- or websites/home offices!) By covering some of the things we do, including case examples, it reinforces the concepts at Lumigrate.com as well as making YOU feel that you're part of a community. Which you ARE at Lumigrate!

Paula Anderson's picture
Paula Anderson
Title: LumiGRATE Poster - Itinerant
User offline. Last seen 12 years 17 weeks ago.
Re: a robust universe includes the botched and the bungled

The thoughts expressed here are truly inspirational! 

Paula Anderson presents on the topic of mindful eating at Yoga West in Grand Junction, Colorado, USA. She is also available for worksite-based presentations or other public speaking engagements. She is passionate about the role of food as an agent for health. Individual client sessions available on request. For rates or appointments, she may be contacted at: aapma46@bresnan.net.  She looks forward to hearing from you here in Comments as well. To follow her blog, please go to: paulaandersonsfoodblog.blogspot.com/

Mardy Ross's picture
Mardy Ross
Inspirational, Yes, Paula! AND She was Just in Junction!

... but I didn't learn about her, via facebook networking /Sharing of a mutual friend, until this fall, and she went for the special tour of the new hospice building when she was here so you guys were right next door to each other in real life!  Better luck next time, eh?  Can't wait to start getting people together as well.  More about that so 'stay tuned' ~~ Mardy

Live and Learn. Learn and Live Better! is my motto. I'm Mardy Ross, and I founded Lumigrate in 2008 after a career as an occupational therapist with a background in health education and environmental research program administration. Today I function as the desk clerk for short questions people have, as well as 'concierge' services offered for those who want a thorough exploration of their health history and direction to resources likely to progress their health according to their goals. Contact Us comes to me, so please do if you have questions or comments. Lumigrate is "Lighting the Path to Health and Well-Being" for increasing numbers of people. Follow us on social networking sites such as: Twitter: http://twitter.com/lumigrate and Facebook. (There is my personal page and several Lumigrate pages. For those interested in "groovy" local education and networking for those uniquely talented LumiGRATE experts located in my own back yard, "LumiGRATE Groove of the Grand Valley" is a Facebook page to join. (Many who have joined are beyond our area but like to see the Groovy information! We not only have FUN, we are learning about other providers we can be referring patients to and 'wearing a groove' to each other's doors -- or websites/home offices!) By covering some of the things we do, including case examples, it reinforces the concepts at Lumigrate.com as well as making YOU feel that you're part of a community. Which you ARE at Lumigrate!

Beth Patterson's picture
Beth Patterson
Title: LumiGRATE Poster - Frequently
User offline. Last seen 12 years 27 weeks ago.
Re: A Robust Universe Includes the Botched and the Bungled

Dear Paula and Mardy--

So glad you are enjoying the topic--there's more to come on this one.  Maybe a 'contest' to get others to write about it--it's a very important topic, especially in these days! 

Sweet, auspicious new year to all!

I am a grandmother.  I'm owned by a wolf/husky named Geronimo and we live in Central Oregon.  I thrived in Western Colorado for 13 years--living in Hotchkiss and working for Hospice and Palliative Care of Western Colorado in the administrative offices in Grand Junction and helping to open the hospices in Montrose and Delta.

I have a MA in Religion, and 20 something years of hospice experience, 5 years in child advocacy and am now working with eldering.

I own a business called Finding Ground and also host a multi-blogger site Virtual Teahouse.  Finding Ground provides spiritual companioning for those who are journeying through major life transitions.  All I do is 'sit' and hold space.  And show up.  I do face to face sessions as well as long-distance via phone or skype sits.

Other than those facts, everything else is suspiciously, serendipitously, unscrupulously subjective.

Mardy Ross's picture
Mardy Ross
Deirdre Rawlings' New Years Wishes I want to Share Here

I woke up this morning and was planning my day and knew I wanted to include something on Lumigrate.com that was inspirational.  I read my email and this, from Deirdre Rawlings, was one of the first things I read and I REALLY liked it so thought I'd post it here since it 'fits' with what Beth kicked off yesterday, and Paula and I were chiming in about.  I'm going to post something as well in the Occupational Therapy forum related to planning/goals/intentions and getting from where you are to where you want to be. 

For now, and for here, THANK YOU Deirdre for all you contribute, such as this I'm copying in below, as people's health and wellness so greatly benefits.  I thank you specifically today for making my job easier with 'inspiration' (and everyone who writes at Lumigrate), so I can do what I do best in my area of specialty.  Many hands, light work!  Best wishes for the coming year, may we all envision and verbalize the most benevolent outcome for 2011 and beyond ~~ Mardy

Happy New Year!

Another year has come and gone and as we move into the new year, here are some thoughts for keeping you healthier and happier...

Surround yourself with what you love and makes you happy, whether it's family, pets, plants, hobbies, music, or whatever. This will lift your spirits and ultimately leads to happiness.

Cherish your health: If it is good, preserve it. If it is unstable, improve it. If it is beyond what you can improve, get help.

Keep learning. Learning keeps you young and vibrant. Learn more about the computer, gardening, the planet, crafts, whatever. Never let the brain idle. "An idle mind is the devil's workshop". And the devil's name is Alzheimer's.

Enjoy the simple things. Be it sunshine, a walk through the garden, a romp with your favorite pet, or reading a good book.

Keep only the cheerful friends. Life is too short to be around grouches or people who pull your spirits down.

Let this coming year be better than all the others. Vow to do some of the things you've always wanted to do but couldn't find the time. Call up a forgotten friend or relative.

Drop an old grudge, and replace it with some pleasant memories. Vow not to make a promise you don't think you can keep. Walk tall, and smile more. You'll look ten years younger.

Don't be afraid to say, 'I love you'. Say it again. They are the sweetest words in the world.

May your spirit be renewed! May your heart be filled with love! May you accomplish all your goals in the coming new year!

Mardy Ross's picture
Mardy Ross
Getting from Botched and Bungled to (Fill in YOUR reality) & OT

I thought I'd put the link here to what I have submitted for my big 'end of the year, beginning of the new' contribution at Lumigrate.com... related to getting from where you are today to where you want to be in the future.  I'll give you this much preview, I end it with "Make this the year it is to be!  And if you need someone to talk to, think of me  ~~ Mardy 

www.lumigrate.com/forum/how-do-you-get-here-there-new-years-grate-time-roll

Gwen Pettit's picture
Gwen Pettit
Title: LumiGRATE Poster - Major
User offline. Last seen 10 years 34 weeks ago.
My Resolution List/Piece from the Health Coaching Forum

Jan 3, 2011 -- I'm posting this piece here in addition to where it is in the Health Coaching forum I routinely contribute to at Lumigrate.com since there was such a nice flow of information related to New Years.  I hope that it contributes to everyone's 2011. 

Resolution List- Do you start out the New Year with a long list of things that you want to accomplish?

Here are some ideas to help you feel good about your resolutions.

1. Think big
Have two or three overall themes that guide your actions all year long. Post them up where you can read them every morning and reflect on them every evening. Give yourself a gold star for every day that you accomplish one of the big items.

Here are my personal favorites-
Speak up about the positives
Make deliberate choices
Do one hard thing every day
Set up intentions for the day before I get out of bed
Practice gratitude at the end of every day
Make quiet time for me
Be kind and honest
Before I make that snap judgment- consider I don't know the whole story
Give myself credit for what I did accomplish
Listen more than I talk
Ask more questions
Connect with friends and family

Spend more time with fun people and less time with people who complain

The second plan I have this year is to focus on one area each month. January is energy month.

I am tracking the situations and jobs that I get excited and energized to do.

I am also paying attention to the things that I ignore or put off again and again.

I am going to let that list guide how I spend my time and what things I agree to do for others. I want to learn what things are of the highest value for me and what things I need to give away or stop doing all together.

You can find this at my blog at this link, for future reference --

gpspiralcoaching.wordpress.com/2011/01/03/new-years-resolution-chart/

Gwen is a life transitions coach who looks forward to your email at gpspiral@gmail.com. You will gain balance in health, life and play from coaching with Gwen. She is a regular contributor to Lumigrate's forum on life and health coaching (www.lumigrate.com/forums/integrative-medicine-parts-make-whole/therapy-behavioralmental-health/life-and-health-coaches) and has her own website presence for more learning if you follow to www.gpspiralconsulting.com

Gwen Pettit's picture
Gwen Pettit
Title: LumiGRATE Poster - Major
User offline. Last seen 10 years 34 weeks ago.
Re: A Robust Universe Includes the Botched and the Bungled ...

What I appreciate about this forum is the ability to be around positive people who send out great energy with thoughts and feelings for the coming year. That it a boost for me and adds to my energy levels- which is another one of my plans for the year. Spend time with people who interact in a way that we add to the positive flow of energy around us and spread it out there in the world for others to feel and absorb.

Gwen is a life transitions coach who looks forward to your email at gpspiral@gmail.com. You will gain balance in health, life and play from coaching with Gwen. She is a regular contributor to Lumigrate's forum on life and health coaching (www.lumigrate.com/forums/integrative-medicine-parts-make-whole/therapy-behavioralmental-health/life-and-health-coaches) and has her own website presence for more learning if you follow to www.gpspiralconsulting.com

This forum is provided to allow members of Lumigrate to share information and ideas. Any recommendations made by forum members regarding medical treatments, medications, or procedures are not endorsed by Lumigrate or practitioners who serve as Lumigrate's medical experts.

Lumigrate Newsletter

Stay informed of the latest Lumigrate news!

Subscribe to this feed