5 Things YOU Can Do About "Flu" and "Cold" Viruses; Biggest Blog aBout Bugs in 2009 Xferred Here

Subscribe to this feed
Bookmark and Share
2 replies [Last post]
Mardy Ross's picture
Mardy Ross
Title: LumiGRATE Poster - Top of the Totem Pole
User offline. Last seen 17 weeks 2 days ago.

Here is a link to the blog that I wrote that had MORE information from one of the physicians interviewed for The Denver Post article about H1N1 and alternative strategies.  Enjoy and please Print, Give to your Doctor, Friends, Coworkers, HR departments, Schools, etc.... it's how others can learn about these things AND about Lumigrate.  ~~ Thanks, we're all in this together! 

Mardy

www.lumigrate.com/blog/5-things-you-can-do-about-flu-and-cold-viruses

Additionally, here is the link to a topic in the overall lifestyles forum which is another place people might start related to information from the 2009 Denver Post fall/flu article we were a part of, just to assure that people finding this topic will get the more comprehensive view about what causes wellness and illnes, as we utiliz e a mind, body, spirit "integrative" approach and functional medicine model, looking at the underlying cause of things and correcting that rather than a focus on addressing the illness symptoms as the allopathic model does. 

www.lumigrate.com/forum/sun-vit-d-water-exercise-enjoyment-wellness-and-health-md-and-nd-seminar-xferred-blog

Live and Learn. Learn and Live Better! is my motto. I'm Mardy Ross, and I founded Lumigrate in 2008 after a career as an occupational therapist with a background in health education and environmental research program administration. Today I function as the desk clerk for short questions people have, as well as 'concierge' services offered for those who want a thorough exploration of their health history and direction to resources likely to progress their health according to their goals. Contact Us comes to me, so please do if you have questions or comments. Lumigrate is "Lighting the Path to Health and Well-Being" for increasing numbers of people. Follow us on social networking sites such as: Twitter: http://twitter.com/lumigrate and Facebook. (There is my personal page and several Lumigrate pages. For those interested in "groovy" local education and networking for those uniquely talented LumiGRATE experts located in my own back yard, "LumiGRATE Groove of the Grand Valley" is a Facebook page to join. (Many who have joined are beyond our area but like to see the Groovy information! We not only have FUN, we are learning about other providers we can be referring patients to and 'wearing a groove' to each other's doors -- or websites/home offices!) By covering some of the things we do, including case examples, it reinforces the concepts at Lumigrate.com as well as making YOU feel that you're part of a community. Which you ARE at Lumigrate!

Robin Thomas's picture
Robin Thomas
User offline. Last seen 10 years 39 weeks ago.
Japanese Study during 2008/9 Influenza Season with Kids

Besides a general healthy lifestyle filled with whole foods: vegetables, fruits, and whole grains ( if you are not sensitive to gluten) along with a moderate amount of regular exercise, the single best thing one can do to prevent flu is vitamin D.  

A new study, conducted by researchers at Jikei University School of Medicine in Tokyo, Japan during the 2008 and 2009 flu season, showed that kids given 1200 IU of vitamin D (a modest dose), had a dramatic reduction in incidence of flu.  The randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled trial compared vitamin D(3) supplements (1200 IU/d) with placebo in schoolchildren. 

Just how effective was vitamin D in this study? It was about nine times (9x) better than the anti-viral drugs Tamiflu and Relenza, and about 50% more effective than flu vaccine. Only one in ten kids who received the extra vitamin D came down with the flu!

In children with a previous diagnosis of asthma, asthma attacks as a secondary outcome occurred in two children receiving vitamin D(3) compared with 12 children receiving placebo.

Importantly, the benefits of taking in additional/supplemental vitamin D only became apparent during the second month of supplementation. Why? These kids were already deficient (as are most kids in the northern latitudes, particularly during the winter), and it took a month to get their vitamin D levels up.

In my opinion, it would be prudent for everyone to start taking 2000 IU of vit D(3)  and also have their serum levels of 25-hydroxyvitamin D levels checked, which should be 60-80 nmol/L for optimal health.  

Live Well! 

Robin

1. Am J Clin Nutr. 2010 May; 91(5):1255-60. Epub 2010 Mar 10. "Randomized trial of vitamin D supplementation to prevent seasonal influenza A in schoolchildren". Urashima M, Segawa T, Okazaki M, Kurihara M, Wada Y, Ida H. Division of Molecular Epidemiology, Jikei University School of Medicine, Nishi-shimbashi 3-25-8, Minato-ku, Tokyo 105-8461, Japan. 

Robin started contributing to  Lumigrate in August 2010.  "Meet Robin Thomas", a topic in our biographies/vitae forum is at http://www.lumigrate.com/forum/meet-robin-thomas to read all about her journey, which was greatly influenced by the need to help solve her youngest son's significant health challenges. For those who want just the overview here: After working over 22 years in medical research at the University of North Carolina on chronic inflammatory diseases she switched her focus to preventive health in 2004 when she was introduced to USANA Health Sciences.   Robin is passionate about helping others improve their health, have more energy, manage their weight, and improve their skin. 

I love meeting new friends !

LIKE me on Facebook      Connect on LinkedIn

Follow me on Twitter        Learn more at my BLOG

"I dream of a world free from pain and suffering. I dream of a world free from disease. The USANA family will be the healthiest family on earth. Share my vision. Love life and live it to its fullest in happiness and health."

-Dr. Myron Wentz, Founder and Chairman, USANA Health Sciences

Mardy Ross's picture
Mardy Ross
User offline. Last seen 17 weeks 2 days ago.
Wrapping up the 2010 Cold and Flu Season String here! NEW Topic

Okay, I'm going to wrap this piece up and let people know it's kind of 'going dormant' and being replaced in 2011/12 by a new stream that is BEGINNING with Robin's comment, above, which she posted in September of 2011.  I'll then let all the other expert contributors on Lumigrate who have specialties in things related to cold and flu prevention/wellness know of it's existence so they can come by and comment/add on.  It's been really rewarding to see things over the years 'add up', but there also is a beauty in starting a new Topic/string/stream for the new year and getting fresh, updated perspectives and information.  Thanks to all who write and those who read and most of all YOU, if you're printing, emailing, posting links, and help spread the word about things that can help move health ahead for those YOU know!  ~~ Mardy

www.lumigrate.com/forum/flu-prevention-lifestyle-basics-plus-vitamin-d-japanese-study-kids-20089-flu-season

Live and Learn. Learn and Live Better! is my motto. I'm Mardy Ross, and I founded Lumigrate in 2008 after a career as an occupational therapist with a background in health education and environmental research program administration. Today I function as the desk clerk for short questions people have, as well as 'concierge' services offered for those who want a thorough exploration of their health history and direction to resources likely to progress their health according to their goals. Contact Us comes to me, so please do if you have questions or comments. Lumigrate is "Lighting the Path to Health and Well-Being" for increasing numbers of people. Follow us on social networking sites such as: Twitter: http://twitter.com/lumigrate and Facebook. (There is my personal page and several Lumigrate pages. For those interested in "groovy" local education and networking for those uniquely talented LumiGRATE experts located in my own back yard, "LumiGRATE Groove of the Grand Valley" is a Facebook page to join. (Many who have joined are beyond our area but like to see the Groovy information! We not only have FUN, we are learning about other providers we can be referring patients to and 'wearing a groove' to each other's doors -- or websites/home offices!) By covering some of the things we do, including case examples, it reinforces the concepts at Lumigrate.com as well as making YOU feel that you're part of a community. Which you ARE at Lumigrate!

This forum is provided to allow members of Lumigrate to share information and ideas. Any recommendations made by forum members regarding medical treatments, medications, or procedures are not endorsed by Lumigrate or practitioners who serve as Lumigrate's medical experts.

Lumigrate Newsletter

Stay informed of the latest Lumigrate news!

Subscribe to this feed