Mobility Equipment 101 for Most People Going Home from Rehabilitation after Falling or Illness

Subscribe to this feed
Bookmark and Share
No replies
Mardy Ross's picture
Mardy Ross
Title: LumiGRATE Poster - Top of the Totem Pole
User offline. Last seen 17 weeks 3 hours ago.

Medical equipment to assist people in their functional tasks is not an easy thing in and of itself.  

It might occur when the person is at home and there is time to research and shop, then purchase.  

It might occur when the person moves to where care is provided, such as an assisted living, memory care assisted living, or skilled nursing facility and there will be skilled therapists who can help identify the need and suggest the product(s) to obtain.  

It might occur suddenly and unexpectedly when there's an acute problem that takes the person to the hospital. 

It's a very challenging process even if someone has experience, but when it's your first time through the "hoops" of hospital / rehabilitation / skilled nursing or chosing an assisted living, perhaps, I can help.  Here are some of the main things that come up most often:

Walkers: 

A 'standard walker'  has no wheels added onto it.  This is the type of walker a person uses when they have to put weight on a walker instead of their lower body and they have a lot of stability issues when standing and cannot use a front wheeled walker. 

A 'front wheeled walker', or FWW is what most people are issued / sold / given / have in their houses that they're not using after they improve.  You can add glides to the non wheeled legs for about $15, or tennis balls that are adapted with a slit to cover the end and allow sliding on carpet, tile, concrete, and asphalt.   Tennis centers will donate their old tennis balls to skilled people who can cut them and re-use them for such a purpose, or a consumer can DIY.  I have been known to walk around the public tennis courts and look in the trash cans for the discarded balls and retrieve them.  (I often have an old retriever with me, as it's a good "job" for them.) 

The front wheeled walker is also the type of walker a person would use if they do not have the mental ability to "remember" to lock the locks on a four wheeled walker (with a seat, shown in the second photo). 

4WWs are wonderful for people in their homes as they 'turn on a dime ' and have a seat on them for sitting on if you're tired or the seats around you are too hard to get out of (as the handles are armrests essentially).   They are primarily used by people who need some assistance with stability when standing and walking, and who are able to bear weight through both legs.  They might also need it to sit on and rest when walking distances within the home, communal living facility, or out in the overall community. 

Typically it's a person who can walk on their own with maybe someone just holding onto the belt at the waist (a 'gait belt') for safety, or who asks to grab onto an arm.  Once someone indicates they need a person for assistance walking, they generally are best with a FWW.

There are different sizes (petite, standard) and weights (standard, heavy duty, light weight), and many can get what they need from a pharmacy these days, but it's really best to at least shop at a durable medical equipment dealer who has skilled sales staff to help identify what product is going to best serve the needs of the individual.   

I believe it is mportant to educate about the cognitive aspects of picking adaptive equipment as most people don't realize that is a huge safety issue to give one of those to someone who can't remember to lock the locks before they turn around and sit on it!  Or a lift recliner -- might be a good thing at first thinking, but actually it is VERY few people who are really appropraite for them compared to the people who think it's a good idea! 

Numero Uno thing I believe is that EVERY person who isn't safe to be transferred without a staff member holding onto them with a 'gait belt' is that each person should have their own of if they are in a hospital or rehabilitation facility so the staff doesn't use a belt that was just on someone else's germy body and then doesn't take your germs on to the next person is a GAIT BELT (gait means 'step' basically).  I call it a 'safety belt for walking' with my patients .....

WHY in 2010  and beyond, when we know about germs we don't just have our facilities buy up huge quantities the way WalMart does of things so they're CHEAP per item and give them out like we do grippy socks at the hospital, I do not know.  Why we only give ONE pair of socks and not enough to go to the laundry and back to have clean and safe ones put on regularly, I also do not know.  Maybe I overthink things, or maybe the 'system' underthinks things -- you tell me! 

Terry Cloth Slip-Resistant Footwear
Get the softness of terry cloth along with practical slip-resistant soles. Go to MORE INFO to buy your favorite size.

Buy Now

gait belt Gait Belts
Rainbow 60" gait belt with quick release button. White 54" belt with metal buckles. Go to MORE INFO for styles and pricing.
Your Price: $19.95
Buy Now

GUARDIAN Double Button Folding Walker
This easy-care walker offers a double-button folding system. You may want to purchase 3" or 5" wheels and walker skis to make your walking smoother. Go to MORE INFO for sizes and pricing.
Buy Now

NOVA Cruiser Deluxe Walker
The Nova Cruiser Deluxe Walker includes a padded back rest, large seat and basket. Nova walker folds for storing and transporting. Nova walker holds up to 275 lbs. Go to MORE INFO

Buy Now

This type of wheelchair is called a companion or transport wheelchair depending on who you talk with -- because it is intended for transporting people in the community by an assistant or companion.  You'll notice the locks are in the back where the helper's feet can turn them on/off to lock or 'brake' as they are erroneously referred to by 99% of therapists.  Ask a mechanic, they're a lock, not a 'brake'!  

DRIVE Fly-Lite Transport Chair
Throw it in the car, bus, boat, plane or train! At less than 20 lbs., the Fly-Lite Transport Chair goes anywhere with the greatest of ease. It's affordably priced and a great value not only for its weight but for the standard swingaway footrests and 8" rear casters.

Buy Now

WHEELCHAIR SEATING AND MOBILITY IS A WHOLE  HUGE "Science" in and of itself.  Please look for it under a separate area shortly at Lumigrate.com as we hope to have someone contributing information VERY soon.  

Edited on 31 October 2021.  I originally wrote that I'd come back and modifiy in the near future -- twelve years was not what I'd planned, but here I am!  

What I initially started the thread with, I'll now put here, for anyone who wants the backstory for why I created this topic, and when, etc.  

I'd started putting my time and energy resources into creating this area of Lumigrate.com with "sponsorship funds" donated from people I knew who wanted to give in honoring my father's passing/death.  My experience as a grown child within a family system as the patriarch's impairments increased as the years from age 75 to almost 89 passed had been exceptionally challenging. 

My experience from being an OTR/ Registered Occupational Therapist was very helpful when it came to many things encountered, and I sympathized with families that were without such skills or experience within their circles of friends and family.  And before I got this thread going, a close friend / neighbor to my family of origin was thrown into the situation of having a parent at life's end and were grateful to have the equipment to borrow from the "loan closet" / garage, as I had suggested to my sibling who inherited everything.   

Two months later, another close friend and neighbor up the road a ways was borrowing other things, and grateful for my time on the phone talking over the exact symptoms, deficits, and helping the wife / mother navigate the challenges in the same hospital and subacute rehab facility my father had been mishandled in.  Thankfully the volunteer ambulance / firemen were always without event and did their duties with excellence.  

I therefore created this topic in a 'carpe diem' way, figuring if I just put a little more time into it today to help this family I know personally by having a Lumigrate resource now, it will then be here to help anyone else who finds or is directed to it.  SO, for right now, this is the base information and I will come back and polish it up in the near future! 

Live and Learn. Learn and Live Better! is my motto. I'm Mardy Ross, and I founded Lumigrate in 2008 after a career as an occupational therapist with a background in health education and environmental research program administration. Today I function as the desk clerk for short questions people have, as well as 'concierge' services offered for those who want a thorough exploration of their health history and direction to resources likely to progress their health according to their goals. Contact Us comes to me, so please do if you have questions or comments. Lumigrate is "Lighting the Path to Health and Well-Being" for increasing numbers of people. Follow us on social networking sites such as: Twitter: http://twitter.com/lumigrate and Facebook. (There is my personal page and several Lumigrate pages. For those interested in "groovy" local education and networking for those uniquely talented LumiGRATE experts located in my own back yard, "LumiGRATE Groove of the Grand Valley" is a Facebook page to join. (Many who have joined are beyond our area but like to see the Groovy information! We not only have FUN, we are learning about other providers we can be referring patients to and 'wearing a groove' to each other's doors -- or websites/home offices!) By covering some of the things we do, including case examples, it reinforces the concepts at Lumigrate.com as well as making YOU feel that you're part of a community. Which you ARE at Lumigrate!

This forum is provided to allow members of Lumigrate to share information and ideas. Any recommendations made by forum members regarding medical treatments, medications, or procedures are not endorsed by Lumigrate or practitioners who serve as Lumigrate's medical experts.

Lumigrate Newsletter

Stay informed of the latest Lumigrate news!

Subscribe to this feed